I wanted to try again and this time create something that appears to be in motion. I decided to create a circle that looks like it is decreasing in size. I started with a circle that is centered and has a radius the size of the display box. I declared variable x to be the radius of the circle in the x and y direction . Then I set up a function which allowed the radius to reduce by 1 in each direction. After accomplishing a circle that decreased in size, I wanted to make the color change as the size changes. I declared another variable to control the stroke. This variable, y, was used for two values in the stroke: Stroke (“y”, value 2, “y”). Changing the color was successful but when I tried to take the next step and make it look as if it were fading in and out, I couldn’t get it to work.
For the second assignment I experimented with different drawings using lines and “for loops”. In this first drawing I used two different variables. I used “i” for the y-value of spacing at the start of the lines, and used “j” for the y-value spacing at the end of the lines. I thought that this would turn out differently then it did. I thought that there would be fewer lines then what was produced. This reminds me of grasshopper in rhino. In some definitions, depending on if you pick the short reference, long reference, or cross reference to the definition, different things happen to the outcome.
For my second and third trial I tried to simplify my idea but to better control the outcome. I wanted to do simple designs using multiple “for loops” but only one variable. Both of these trials were successful and came out as I was expecting. My next step would be to experiment with more “for loops” containing multiple variables.
The goal of this exercise was to familiarize myself with the Processing program by adjusting different values one of the example files and seeing what the result was. I worked with the typography example called letters, and was able to successfully introduce a new font type, as well manipulate the size and color of the letters. By far the easy part of this exercise was introducing a new font type. This is done by using the create font tool to generate the font top from your computer’s existing font types and then loading it into the file by typing in the name of the font file. The cool thing about this feature is that it doesn’t have any issues with custom fonts, which is what I used.
The manipulation of the size and color of the letter was accomplished simply by changing values. The yellow letters were switched by changing which letters were specified in a particular code line, adding more instances of that code to add more yellow letters.
I also attempted to change which numbers are shown, however when you increase the value of the first number so that the sequence goes higher then 9 you end up with spaces and ; symbols. As far as I could tell the count used isn’t a straight numerical count. My guess was that it was tied to a standard keyboard number sequence, which is why it couldn’t do double digits.
This is a great video if your someone who doesn’t really know what SOPA and PIPA stand for or are intended to do. I myself, was unsure of the overall effect on the internet that these bills would have. Although they SOPA/PIPA acts were postponed thusfar, it is good to know what they are about, because congress will continue to proposed bills like this as long as money is green and media companies pay out. Clay Shirky is easy to listen to and the video is really interesting, see feel free to watch it. Enjoy~ P.S. If SOPA/PIPA were passed I wouldn’t have the ability to share this video with you!
Until next time,
After downloading Processing and playing with some examples, the one I decided to revise is called Cubes Within Cube. It has a large outer cube encasing 20 smaller cubes that are connected by black lines. The larger outer cubes rotates slowly while the inner cubes also rotate but at a faster speed. The inner cubes also move around the interior of the outer cube and bounce off the boundary of the exterior cube.
The first thing I decided to change was the size of the display box along with the cubes on the screen. I found the void setup and increased the size of the display box to 640 by 640. I then increased the float bounds of the exterior cube from 300 to 800. Then I increased the number of interior cubes from 20 to 75.
The last things that I changed was the color of the background, cubes, and lines connecting cubes. Lastly, I increased the size of the internal cubes randomly from 5 to 65, and increased the speed that they rotated and moved.
In case anyone was wondering where I got the adapter to hook up a Wii nunchuck controller to an arduino, they can be found at Fun Gizmos for $4 and include the header pins you need also.