Kate Smith’s Final Project

The game’s object is to keep the bigger ball away from smaller (obstacle) balls with the paddle. This was a good a practice of understanding what we talked about in class. The bigger ball bounces in a circular pattern to the left, while obstacle balls just move side to side of the screen horizontally. In my first attempt with obstacles, I made the little balls bounce as they do in bouncy bubbles, but it did not work, because the game became too hard to last for a second. After creating the obsticles to work with the paddle, the biggest challange was to keep the speeds of the little balls reasonable for a player not to lose as the game starts right away. Also to find a good velocity for the big ball to have ability to bounce relatively steady with the user’s control of the paddle. With some help from my peers I finally got the speeds to work with the game. I also could not make the bottom of the paddle be active, just the top, and the paddle boundary activation does not quite fit the size of the paddle yet. It took me a while to figure out how to insert an image in the background with objects present without getting errors, but I finally figured it out from different examples provided in processing. I have attempted to put a score keeper for every time the ball hit the paddle, but no matter what I did I kept getting errors, so my goal is to figure that out over summer. I am attempting to have a way to restart the game and have different levels of difficulty and I think I came pretty close. Also, I have attempted to insert an image into the bigger ball, which was a picture of Mies, but trying to make that work with shapes gave me all sort of errors as well for some reason, so hopefully this summer I can figure that out too. The book “Processing: A Programming Handbook for Visual Designers and Artists” by Casey Reas and Ben Fry the first step for me in learning processing. It took me a while to figure out anything until I have actually opened this book and tried the examples with explanation of what is going on, because there are just so many ways to make ideas work in processing. For me personally, I think learning processing has very much in common with architecture, simply because in order to understand how things work in both, I have to experiment and try things to work in specific ways that relate to each other. This class has been a positive experience and made me realize that sometimes really confusing things just take many trials and errors to learn, and just time and patience.

Final Project: Balloon Blitz

The team for our final project is made up of Randy Baffia, and myseld (Raul Salas). We decided to design a game where a ballon would bounce off a paddle (tracked by the X and Y positions of your mouse, and later replaced by your hand via Kinnect) and bounce slightly to either side using a random number. The objective of the game is to successfully keep the balloon in the air, and evade obstacles, that will be bouncing side to side, and have random speeds assigned every time they bounce on the lateral walls.

Assignment 2

So for this assignment, I worked with an existing sketch and a rectangle, for it to grow as the loop progressed, together with the position of the mouse. I incorporated mouse click, to change the color, where right click was blue, and left click was red.

Assignment 1

For assignment one, we were asked to get familiar with processing and try out the different functions. I started with a basic sketch, and started to play around with the different functions, and came up with a sketch that worked kind of like a simple drawing pad, where the “ink” is activated once your mouse is pressed.

Assignment 4

For assignment 4 I used the “box” class I created in the previous exercise and introduced some movement and mouse interaction. I accomplished movement by introducing speed and gravity, and edited the xpos of the rectangles t a simple math function of xpos+mousex. The result is a grouping of rectangles that bounces off the bottom of the screen and shifts left and right as you move the mouse around. if you compare it to my assignment 3 you’ll notice that the overall sketch has remained relatively unchanged and all of the changes occurred in the box class.

Assignment 3

The XML component of this assignment was giving me lots of issues, so I choose to focus more on familiarizing myself with learning to use custom classes. I created a simple sketch with the class “Box” and set it up to allow all of the major variables (xpos,ypos,color, height, and width) to be called when it’s created.